Sunday, October 12, 2008

Layout Progress as of 10/12/2008

Progress on the layout has been limited the last few weeks since the air conditioner in the basement decided to stop working. Although the outside temperatures in north Georgia have only been in the mid- to upper-70s, the humidity has been high (even in the middle of a drought--go figure!) Because of this, I have had to run the dehumidifier constantly, which works great to dry things out but also raises the temperature about 8-10 degrees. Needless to say, 80 degrees and muggy are not great working conditions.

Today I did manage to get down there and make some pretty good progress. I cut and installed all of the backdrops for the middle level. I also went ahead and redid a bunch of the screws holding up the backdrops on the lower level that were not countersunk deep enough. I originally thought that having the screw heads flush with the Masonite would suffice, but after finishing a few screw holes with joint compound, I realized that the screw heads had to be sunk just as if I was installing drywall. I'll do a special post in the next few weeks detailing how I am finishing the seams between the sections of Masonite.

Here are a handful of pictures showing the new middle level backdrops: